Last updated on 05-May-2020
Hi, everyone! Here’s another round of inspiration in “Mexican food mode”. I know this post has quite a few steps, but they are all very easy and should take about 20 minutes to complete. The result looks great and tastes even better!
You may want to make extra shrimps – they disappear fast! They are also delicious by themselves as an appetizer, served with the avocado crema as a dipping sauce.
If you don’t eat shrimp, you can use another protein for the tacos, like grilled/shredded chicken, shredded or sliced beef, grilled/fried seasoned tofu, fish, or get these Vegan Coconut Shrimp from Sophie’s Kitchen.
- 1 lb shrimp (thawed, peeled, and deveined)
- 1 cup unsweetened medium coconut
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Mix the dry ingredients in a small bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the melted butter and olive oil.
- Dip each shrimp into the butter mixture, then coat with the coconut mixture and place in a baking sheet.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until coating is golden brown and shrimp is cooked (opaque throughout).
Note: the dry spices can be substituted with taco seasoning.
While shrimp is in the oven, prepare the coleslaw and avocado crema:
- 1 lb shredded cabbage (I use a bag of coleslaw mix)
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar (or rice vinegar)
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (or more to taste)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Mix all ingredients and reserve.
- 1 ripe avocado (pit removed)
- 1/2 lime (juiced)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1-2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- Salt to taste
- Scoop the avocado from the skin. Blend with the other ingredients until smooth.
To assemble tacos
- 8 to 10 small (about 6 inch) tortillas – corn (gluten-free) or flour – wrapped in parchment paper and warmed in the microwave for 20-25 seconds.
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Top each tortilla with a bit of coleslaw, 4-5 shrimps, a couple pieces of tomato, drizzle with the avocado crema, and some cilantro. Enjoy! 🙂
For a low-carb option, you can use lettuce leaves instead of tortillas or make these yummy Low-Carb Tortillas.